Sep 27, 2012

Driving away from the wreck of the day

There are so many reasons to give up. Always, everyday, there are reasons to just quit and throw it all to hell. Some people do, I suppose a lot of people do in some way. Either you stop doing what your doing, or worse you stop hoping and dreaming. I mean it's one thing to change your method, that's just smart, or maybe adjust your goal a little - if it's possible without compromising the core purpose. But to give up, that's just not ok.

The thing is that no matter how hard or impossible it seems today, tomorrow may be the day you break through and find the solution you've been looking for. I realize it sounds very cliché but it's not really a sappy old saying, it's just the truth. The only constant thing in life is change. At my worst and at my best I always have a saying in my mind - "This too shall pass". It is the most comforting and humbling thing I can think of and no matter what the situation it always makes me feel better if things are hard, or appreciate the good time I'm having even more.

The first time I remember someone alluding to this fact was when I started 3rd grade. Our teacher, whom I admired and desperately wanted to be like, told the class to be nice to the new kids in the 1st grade, to show them around and help them if they needed it. She said that we might be the biggest kids in school this year but next year we were moving to another school and would be the youngest again, and that would continue through all our life, one day we're on top and the next in the bottom, so we should remember that being the biggest and best was fleeting, it never lasts. Maybe it's a big thing to lay on a 9 year old, but I've had it in the back of my mind ever since. If I'm on top I'm probably on my way down and vice versa, it's just the cycle of life.

So getting to the point, you may have bad days, lousy weeks and horrendous never ending months that feel like years, but sooner or later that too will pass, and you can't just give up before that happens, because what if that's tomorrow?


Oh, and by the way, I just got an e-mail from one of my colleagues telling me she'll take my shift the 23rd of december....

No comments:

Post a Comment