Dec 31, 2012

Promises Promises...



Ok, so this day you hear a lot about – yeah, you guessed it – New Year resolutions. I’ve always been against them. I mean why would this specific day be any different from the rest? Why not just make the changes you want to make on any other random day of the year? But mostly I’ve always stayed away from them for the same reason I think most people don’t like making them, you’re pretty sure you won’t keep them and then you’ll just be disappointed. I suppose that’s a realistic outlook on things, it’s just the more I read about people thinking like that, the more it irritates me.

If you don’t make promises because you don’t want to break them – then don’t break them! And if you always make promises that you break then maybe you should think about how much you actually want to keep them, how important they are to you, and lastly maybe try to adjust your level of ambition. The solution isn’t in any way not to make the promise in the first place.

My sister once told me (I think she’d heard it from Oprah) that the most important person, to whom you need to keep your promises, is yourself. There is nothing worse than not trusting your own word. I remember how spot on I felt it when she said it. That’s it; I don’t trust my own word. When I tell myself I’ll do something and someone else asks me to do something that happens to interfere with that, I always end up breaking the promise I made to myself before breaking the promise I’ve made to someone else, and somehow I don’t think that’s right.

This year, despite the fact that I’ve never kept a New Years resolution before, I’ll make them, and if twelve months from now I haven’t accomplished them (yet!), I’ll know at least I’ve tried, and that’s far better than giving up before you even start!

Cheers to a happier, healthier and gutsier 2013!

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment