May 29, 2012

Get ready for it

“I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise – to fly”

Indeed, things falling into place does feel like flying.

A couple of months ago I mentioned a letter I had to write to the University of Copenhagen, a letter motivating why they should accept me on this course that’s very important for me to get on. I’ve heard it sometimes might be hard to get in because it’s quite a popular course and it has people coming from different countries, so I was a bit nervous about not getting in – but I did! I found out a while back and now the admission fee has been paid and I’m officially going! I only need to figure out the living situation in Copenhagen for the three weeks in august – but let’s not focus on the problematic stuff.

The topic of the course is “International Health” and it’s all part of a bigger plan that’s been growing in my mind for many years now. Over the last couple of months I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want and what I’m doing to get it. In the career department I’m on the right track, but on the personal department I’m definitely lagging behind, I’m not where I thought I’d be at all and I’ve been feeling quite sad about that. The thing I realized though is that when I say “personal department” everybody, including myself, assume I’m talking about a future family – and it’s a fair assumption, but it’s not completely true. I’ve always imagined myself traveling more, working abroad, and contributing where I can, right now I think that part of the personal side is missing. I haven’t focused on it for so long that I almost forgot it was there. All those thoughts resulted in me applying to the course and writing what appears to have been a kick ass motivational letter! I’ll share an abstract from it with you…

I was born in El Salvador to parents that during my early childhood were forced to become political refugees and move to Sweden. Though not having experienced the turbulence firsthand, my parents did raise me knowing the consequences of war and making me aware of how poverty, political instability and lack of proper healthcare can affect people’s life. Growing up knowing this I determined early on that if I could, I would one day try and help people in these circumstances. Being a doctor I now feel I can do just that.

2 comments:

  1. Husk at få en klausus ind i din kommende arbejdskontrakt om at du gerne vil kunne tage "fri" til at arbejde i verdens brændpunkter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nåhja, god idé, det skal jeg nok huske! :-)

      Delete