Oct 6, 2011

I'm starting with the (wo)man in the mirror

“Brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it” President Barack Obama on the passing of Steve Jobs.

I’m not writing on a Mac even though I’d want to. I’ve never been one of the big Apple followers and so I’m not a huge Steve Jobs fan, but I do get that he was an extremely talented man and that when he talked about his products people got the feeling that it truly was an object they really couldn’t live without. I love my iPhone and I really can’t imagine being without it now that I have it, so in a way he changed my everyday-life. He actually changed the world.

I know he didn’t do it on his own, that it’s a whole team of insanely smart people working on the incredible stuff they come up with all the time and that it has taken years to get to the place where they are, but still – he, and they, changed the world. How amazing is that?

Not so long ago I was talking to my sister about the fact that most doctors or med.students I know say that they have chosen to be doctors because they liked science in school and definitely NOT because they wanted to “save the world” (said with sarcasm dripping from every word). It seems arrogant to think that you can save the world – who ever said it needed saving anyway? And why do you think you could be the one to do it? It’s just a job like any other and there is nothing special or big about it, we are definitely not playing God, who would ever want to? Yeah, something like that is the response most give when asked about that part of being a doctor – the saving part.

So am I just a little bit scared of saying, “sure I want to save the world”? Of course I am! (Strangely enough I don’t want people thinking I’m arrogant or playing all mighty God!) But honestly why wouldn’t you want to save the world if you could? Why wouldn’t you want to make a difference if you found a way how? How amazing wouldn’t it be to one day be described as Steve Jobs – creative, bold, talented – and world changer!

I might not be creative, bold or talented enough to change the world, but the least I can do is try to make just a little tiny bit of difference, and hopefully that will be enough.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment